View Single Post
Old 2010-09-11, 16:16   Link #2830
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejuvenation View Post
No it doesn't. If I thought it did, I'd be far more of an arrogant bastard about it to stick it to certain crowds. Let it go on a dead last streak for months on end without an anime and it will bite the dust.

It has survived this long for exactly what you mentioned. There were always two series doing worse. Jump series debut in twos and die in twos. Sometimes threes but there haven't been 3 series to debut in Jump at the same time for almost two years now. If it were one of those bottom two consistently earlier on in its life it would have died regardless of if they think an anime would have been a cash cow.

The way they were treating Double Arts I'm sure they originally thought it would be a money maker as well. And its first volume actually did sell well for a new series.

Name has nothing to do with it. Plenty of big name mangaka have had their manga canceled before even though they have past hits on the all-time best sellers of Jump. Nobuhiro Watsuki(Rurouni Kenshin) and Hiroyuki Takei(Shaman King) off the top of my head.

The author of Hokenshitsu no Shinigami further proves my point. It was serialized the same year and spent the majority of its life in the bottom 5. He is by no means a big name either but his manga has survived too. Both series largely benefited from the same factors though Hokenshitsu didn't start selling anything noteworthy until volume 4.

What it boils down to is that they ranked poorly but not so poor that it was first on the chopping block.

Its my belief he has improved since Unzen appeared but I'm sure I'm in the minority there.
Maybe. I'm sure both his name and luck have at least something to do with it. I mean, honestly. If an owner gets two baseball players for your team, one who's a big name and one who's new to the game, and they both perform really poorly at the start, you know the guy who's proven himself in the past will get a lot more leeway than the new guy who's still untested. It's just the way things work. I don't fault Nishio for it, as I'm a huge fan of Bakemonogatari.

I personally wasn't a huge fan of the Flask Plan arc for a couple of reasons. One, I felt it went on too long for what it was and two, Nishio's bad habit of introducing characters only to basically throw them away really reared it's ugly head here. All those Plus 13's introduced are now mostly gone, 6 of which we barely even saw. I feel Nishio does better when he focuses on developing a smaller cast of characters. Of course, that's just my preference in general and why I can't get into mangas like Baccano and Durarara, because there's too many people to follow.