View Single Post
Old 2009-05-31, 09:04   Link #2078
Drethillsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
That is indeed a factor we have been wondering about. How are they going to scale a powerful ability like that? I'm curious how Vivid is going to do so.

The effect of Sacred Cluster clearly show that it wasn't just limitless, but also empowering.

I'm pretty darn sure that, being the main character and being placed among other high-ranked mages (because Ginga and her sisters are hardly weak) means that she's not some D-rank nobody. Whether or not her powers rival her mothers, though, that is still up for debate.

DVD booklets. These are one of the few translated, I really want to get them all translated but I know zero written Japanese, and no translators are motivated enough to translate that mountain of text, so it's been kind of hard to get started.
I'm just guessing that the Hegemon Ingvalt will have some similar or equally powerful ability. Or Vivio is going to be to ViVid what Alucard is to Hellsing: completely unstoppable (well, you know...), but really cool.

I'd like to point to the most recent (as of this writing) comic from The Order of the Stick for this: One character (Vaarsuvius) has made a deal with a number of fiends to bind the souls of powerful mages to his own, giving him access to their spellcasting ability. He goes and fights the series's main bad guy (Xykon), another spellcaster, who can no longer really match Vaarsuvius spell for spell.
BUT- even though Vaarsuvius was a stronger spellcaster, at his core, he wasn't as strong as Xykon, because he didn't get anything other than spellpower from the deal, whereas Xykon had the experience, the resiliancy, and the tricks from gaining his power naturally (in his own words, "Spells don't equal power... Power equals power."). What I mean is that there are a lot of things beyond just energy boosts that it takes to really be strong. If Vivio was extremely weak without the power boost, it wouldn't have mattered how much power she got. It's the magical equivalent of being topheavy.

At the very least, her Saint's Armor means that her defenses probably do rival her mothers'. But yeah, I'll admit that we don't really know yet. I'd be surprised if she wasn't a lot stronger than Ginga and the numbers, though.

Where are they? The raws, too, if there are any; I don't have a lot of skill in Japanese, but enough that a kanji dictionary and a few hours (...and some consulting with my girlfriend...) will give me an idea of what's being said; besides, I need the practice. I've already read all of my untranslated manga.