View Single Post
Old 2011-01-16, 10:49   Link #1410
John117xCortana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
The idea that preliminary work on a potential successor was being done "on paper" when the YF-19 was still in testing isn't that out there. The idea that there was a flying prototype of the successor design at that time is. Also note that two years would be an awfully short development cycle for a system as sophisticated as the VF-25 although I guess it was building pretty heavily on the YF-24.

The VF-29 has an awful lot of core technology in common with the VF-25 for a design that's supposed to be its successor though don't you think? On the other hand however the design philosophy seems to be completely different for some reason. Again, the VF-25 was basically developed to be a good "base platform" that could be fulfill a lot of different mission using various add ons while the VF-29 seems to emphasize built in systems. Such a shift in philosophy would seem to reflect the VF-25s design philosophy is flawed, yet it seems to me that the VF-25's approach has proved quite effective in practice.

Then again I do have to admit being a big fan of the VF-25 and thinking it's a beautiful design. I've got a model of one sitting on a shelf above my desk for a reason.
A Jack of All Trades is a master of none.
John117xCortana is offline   Reply With Quote