Thread: Licensed Noragami
View Single Post
Old 2014-03-08, 16:28   Link #680
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
I do get what you mean. But I think it's just the return swing of the Hiyori pendulum.
She's chronically incapable of heeding warnings. She misinterprets it when Yato tells her to go to Kofuku should "something happen to him".
Maybe I missed something, but from what I saw there were two things in connection with Hiyori:
1) She barely knows anything because Yato doesn't bother telling her anything really important. (For some reason he tells her a bit more than he tells Yukine, though, but most of that is still cryptic fragments.) Therefore I don't think she can be faulted for misinterpreting things and situations. How should have she known what he really meant when he said "should something happen to me go to Kofuku" when she didn't know what was happening to him due to Yukine's thoughts and actions, and to what extent?

(Really, the more I think about it, the more everything comes down to Yato simply failing to communicate with Yukine and Hiyori.)

2) Therefore she does what she deems best in any given moment. Yato is an unreliable guardian? She takes on trying to help Yukine. Yato pursued by Bishamonten? She goes to Kofuku because Yato told her to go to Kofuku if something happens to him. Ayakashi are threatening people and Yato seems unwilling to deal with them? She tries to take them out herself.

Quote:
She has that heroic impulse to rescue people, and that's in sharp contrast to Yato, who usually lets people work out things for themselves.
And see where that got him and Yukine...

Quote:
Hiyori: wait, is Yato even working on my problem? That unreliable bastard! Look how he's treating poor Yukine. Oh, wait, he does have a reason for this after all. So he's kind after all. Oh, good.
But from her POV she's right, and she has no mind-reading skills. Is Yato working on her problem as she'd paid him to do? No, even though nothing seems to be stopping him. And as for Yukine - I still don't see how Yato had a good reason for treating Yukine the way he did, and I found Hiyori's sudden turnaround and acceptance was very jarring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
So I guess everyone is agreeing that while this arc wasn't a bad one it could've been handled a little better and wrapped up a bit tighter?
Let's just say that this arc wasn't a bad one and it could've been great, but the resolution and the wrap-up was a HUGE let-down, and unless something extremely awesome happens in the last episodes I'm going to remember the show as "that story which treats its first main conflict in a really cringe-worthy way."
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote