View Single Post
Old 2013-01-23, 21:17   Link #19
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Fair enough points but allow me to say a few things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
-The motion controls are generally bearable, but unnecessarily FORCED into all aspects (swimming especially) when they could be optional. Really though, the combat is fundamentally flawed in that it all comes down to one damn mini game of slicing in the correct direction. This is not interesting or fun and at worse very frustrating.
This isn't really an actual flaw with the game, just a preference. It along with breakable shields more-or-less means you need to be a little more careful and skillful with combat situations. You can't just mash a button anymore while intermittently guarding or parrying.

Quote:
-Fi repeats instructions you were just given like the one writing her dialogue has never played the game. She has no personality. She is practically a slap in the face of everyone who made any kind of complaints about the companions before her... like "You thought that one was bad, well TAKE THIS!" lol...
Sure Fi is captain obvious, but she's at least a more interesting design than a glowing ball with wings. Heck, even Tatl was just a Navi re-color. Midna's probably the best non-human female companion so far though.

Quote:
-There's no clear distinction between dungeons and surrounding areas so I feel like I'm never getting a break. I LIKE the stretches of gameplay between dungeons in Zelda games.
Wait what? I was always aware when I was in a dungeon and when I was not. There's very simple ways to distinguish that too.

Quote:
-You revisit the same 3 areas 3 times (ugh) with no real engaging motivation to do so given to you. There really isn't any small local narrative conflict to resolve around any of the dungeons... at least not any interesting ones. The world feels pretty barren as a result.
Well, being barren is kind of the point. The surface of the world is a place where people haven't lived for a very long time. And while the dungeons don't really play into the area conflict, it still exists outside of dungeons. Rather the dungeons are much more central to the overarching plot than a contained sub-plot.

Quote:
-The sky is empty and boring.
The sea in Wind Waker is empty and boring too, and unlike that at least you can travel around the sky faster and you're not limited to travelling in only the direction the wind is going.

Quote:
-The narrative starts out fairly strong (at least I liked it) but then all that happens is Zelda impersonates Princess Peach three times then disappears and NOTHING happens for a long while, then you're slammed with a huge plot dump, then nothing happens for a while, then the story ends... just bad pacing and crappy storytelling.
Narrative hasn't been Zelda's strong point if you ask me. I figure you're looking in the wrong place for that. The adventure aspect is largely the driving force behind the Zelda series, not it's story.

Quote:
-You fight that stupid boss with big toes THREE times.
The third time is probably not really necessary sure, but you also fight Girahim 3 times. Do you have a problem with that too?

Quote:
-There's no settlements or cities or really any decent characters in the whole world outside the starting city and that inn
Again, the surface is supposed to be barren as noone has lived there in ages. At least they had the decency to throw in some non-human NPC's for some guidance and interaction.

Quote:
-I hated all 4 of the trials and the note finding was a complete joke.
I admit, the tadtone part of the game was my least favorite part too. The guardian trials were pretty intense though. That feeling of terror and hopelessness when the guardians are chasing you makes those parts worthwhile if you ask me.~