View Single Post
Old 2012-02-07, 12:40   Link #333
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bluebeard View Post
Obviously, but that relies in taste, which varies from person to person. What I was talking about is the tendency of people to whine for the lack of answers, when clearly the mystery has been answered. It seems many people make the mistaken assumption that The Book of The Single Truth contained the answer to the mystery, while clearly, Prime and Answer are two separate things. The mysteries we were challenged to solve were answered, even in a roundabout way, that's why I think the people who complain about EP8 not giving an answer are those who didn't bother to thik. The author is not obligated to expose the contents of Prime to give out answers, because they have already be given in EP7. Yet still, I can see how that could dissatisfy many people, but in fact, I think the purpose of not showing it shows how little it actually matters.
That's an interesting point of view. It's unfortunate that none of it is true. For an incredibly nebulous definition of an "answer," perhaps, but answers actually solve things in a convincing and clear fashion. "It might have been this, but I'unno what do you think?" is not an answer.

Also, not all of the gameboard mysteries were addressed. We were given some idea of things, but part of ep2 had to be answered in an interview and no part of ep4 was ever even talked about. It's clear we were meant to find an answer there in some degree of greater detail, but then we got nothing. Why portray the death order as important only to later give no information about it whatsoever?

I'd be hesitant to talk about what you think people wanted out of the story when I'm not sure you actually know what a lot of people were expecting out of it.
Quote:
Saying that it was a buildup with no answer is an unfair accusations. Though I'm not really interested in Prime, I can see how it could be a middle finger to those who are. But still, I think the important thing is to think about what does the author want to convey with his action of keeping it forever in the shadows?
That he's an asshole, apparently. His justification for an act of moral evil was incomprehensible and he both lionized the villainous and demonized anyone who would want the answer he spent so long teasing about, for any reason. He adores the selfish and mocks the notion that anyone would ever desire information for anything but their own personal ends.

Ryukishi is an advocate of allowing people to get away with their crimes if it would - or merely might - inconvenience those left behind. For this reason alone, even if his conclusion were perfectly realized (I don't personally think it was), his work should not be applauded. Indeed, it disgusts me and I condemn it.
Quote:
Indeed. One of the best parts of Umineko is that it's open for thinking even after handing out the answer. But if Prime was revealed, this would be over, right? The Cat Box would end forever, being opened and left out of use. I can understand how many people can be upset over that, but they can't say they are upset about the lack of an answer, because that just means they need to think more.
I wasted four years of time and effort reading this thing in fits and starts, and I don't really want to waste the rest of my life wondering "Huh, I wonder what actually happened in the end, in Umineko?" Speculation and fanworks are fine; I think ep6 even encouraged this (before ep8 called us assholes for it). But there's no reason knowing the truth would somehow put an end to this. Knowing the end of Star Wars or Harry Potter's never stopped anybody from writing stuff about it.
Quote:
The fact that we can never be absolutely sure does concern me too, but when you reach the truth for real, you do know it.
You seem quite confident in that. Since that must mean you know the truth for real, tell me what it is.
Quote:
I agree, and that happens exactly because the truth of what happened on that day shall forever remain hidden (which does not mean the mysteries weren't properly answered, by the way).
But they weren't. There's dozens of mysteries-and/or-plotholes that were never addressed. All anyone ever does is handwave them and say "they weren't important." Then why were they in there at all?
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote