View Single Post
Old 2007-04-21, 17:57   Link #15
Michael Hopcroft
Embarrassed!

Send a message via AIM to Michael Hopcroft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Think of fishing, where you throw back fish that are too small so they can grow larger. I've heard it used to mean being attracted to someone who's too young to "catch", so you "release" them with an eye to hooking up when they're older (i.e. legal). Which makes this line extremely dodgy when sung by highschoolers! (Though it's still more subtle than the guy lurking behind the lamppost.)
I haven't seen the term, but I've seen that plot in numerous anime series -- an older man and a much-too-young girl obviously in love, perhaps even engaged, but holding off on marriage and/or intimacy until she's old enough to handle it. There's a really controversial example in Card Captor Sakura, and a relationship of that nature is one of the major plot points in the legendary shoujo dramedy Marmalade Boy (blowing up in the faces of those involved with devastating results). In both examples, fans tend to conclude that the older guy was a bit of a jerk.

Kona-chan, of course, would know all about both these examples. And has probably written ecchi fanfics about both.