View Single Post
Old 2012-11-06, 12:41   Link #2175
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Your argument is that the EC protects smaller states from bigger ones.
No, I said it prevents them from becoming completely irrelevant.

Quote:
But that's not one person, one vote.
Like it or not, the US is not a direct democracy, and the EC system is one of the layers of protection against tyranny of the majority, in this case the ability of larger states/specific region's interest to completely dominate others.

Quote:
And it does not protect small states that are safe states, or make large states less powerful. All it does is to empower swing states, which is not related to population size and is in no way related to spreading electoral attention.

If the goal of EC is to spread political influence across the country, it failed. Because the math made it clear that swing state votes are worth 20 times more than safe state votes.
What you're describing would not change even with a popular vote system. "Swing area" will continue to exist, and the heavy campaign focus would still be in those areas, while the traditional strongholds will continue to receive less attention.

Quote:
If you really want to have truly fair representation nation wide, then popular vote is still the best way. Sure, smaller states would have less votes, but they would also be cheaper to influence. Promising a million dollars to Alaska would help the people there more than promising a million dollars to Texas, as Alaskans get a larger share of the money per person.
That analogy doesn't really work for me, it's not score-keeping where you're tracking campaign promise in monetary terms. Different regions have different interest and priorities that they want to see represented, many of which cannot be measured in monetary terms, nor should they.

Look, let me reiterate this again, I'm not saying the EC system is perfect, because it isn't, all I'm saying that it was designed for specific reason and purposes, and that a popular vote system also have its flaws as well, though I wouldn't object if switch to it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
There goes Ithekro again, desperately trying to deny that the world is ending in 45 days.
Weren't you supposed to be dead since last year already? dead people can't argue!