View Single Post
Old 2012-11-24, 09:02   Link #38
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Unless I don't understand the bonobo business, the whole point is to encourage these humans to relieve stress through sex. I don't think I've seen Maria in a more stressful situation than this one, and Saki just realized she had a sibling. At 63, I'm not sure the horny user tag really applies to me. My comment seemed appropriate within the context of the story.

If this situation wasn't a good example of when the bonobo response would be approriate, what is? Otherwise we're left just with sexuality as fanservice, which was the feeling I had watching the previous episode.
As Saki herself said in episode whatever, when she and Satoru were captured by the bakenezumi: they're not apes. They're human beings with minds and personalities on their own, and they can decide for themselves when they want to do what and with whom. And in a situation such as this one having sex is pretty much the last thing on a person's mind (and the last thing you want is to be distracted by having sex).

The whole bonobo thing is simply encouraging physical intimacy as a way of strengthening bonds between people for the sake of peaceful coexistence and repression of violent urges. Encouraging skinship, touching, holding hands, hugging, even kissing, the development of natural curiosity about sexuality - things that our society limits or even represses after a while. The kids are just like any other kids, except they have been raised without restrictions when it comes to intimate physical contact, and as a natural consequence, they're more open about sexuality as well.

Aside of that, like Triple_R said, the kids aren't particularly "different." They have relationships, break them up, experiment, etc. like any other kids of the same age, except they're less restricted about the physical side of things, and being in homosexual physical relationships due to the strict rules about sexual activities between boys and girls (something that would be impossible to uphold if the people were being conditioned to have sex with anyone at the drop of a hat...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
But I don't think Saki has the same feelings as Maria has for her. It is so obvious that Saki has both eyes for Shun during the previous episode.

Yes, we could say they are a pair but not that romantic enough since one party ain't providing the same share of the feeling as the other provides.
I think if Maria and Saki had been brought up in our society they would likely be best friends who love each other deeply and care about each other a lot. As it is, given the societal context, they're also lovers in a physical sense. What Saki feels for Maria is not the exact same thing she feels for Shun.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-11-24 at 09:18.