View Single Post
Old 2007-02-24, 23:51   Link #130
DanielSong39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
I dunno, pal. You're effectively saying that Nayuki's plight is worse than Ayu's plight, and therefore if he wasn't such a "horrible person", he'll support Nayuki. I cannot agree with that statement; not because I disagree with the opinion (nor that I support it in any way, for that matter), but because a statement like that is very much subjective. It's an opinionated topic, if I may say so myself; as many different perspectives as there are people, you know what I mean?

I'm personally sitting on the fence for this one, but I'd really appreciate it if you'll stop making absolute statements like "such a horrendous mistake" on such topics which have no absolute fact.
I'm only speaking for myself here, Ascaloth. Basically, I'm saying that I would be completely turned off by Yuuichi if the show actually took that path (and it hasn't, by the way).

It's easy to get caught up in a relationship and neglect those around you. But over the long run, those closest to you tend to have a bigger impact on your long-term future - for better or for worse. Ignoring your parents, siblings, and this case, your caretaker (Akiko) in favor of a girlfriend/boyfriend will almost assuredly hurt you over the long run. I've seen it happen too often in real life, and I don't want to see it happen here. Yuuichi's actions in Kanon 2002 literally sickened me.

I'm not saying Yuuichi should drop Ayu like a hot potato, or he should start a relationship with Nayuki. What I AM saying is that he should realize that Akiko's situation absolutely trumps Ayu's - frankly, for me, it's a no-brainer. Perhaps in the anime world, you should go for the girl every time - but in real life, such a decision is an absolute killer.

As for Ayu - her situation is indeed serious, but I think her actions and words imply that deep down, she really wants her mother - and by extension, a close-knit family. In that sense, I believe Akiko and Nayuki actually has more to offer Ayu than Yuuichi - as they can play the "mother" and "onee-chan" roles in her life. She obviously likes Yuuichi, but her desire to have a boyfriend seems to be somewhat secondary.