View Single Post
Old 2008-07-29, 02:11   Link #368
MaiHikari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darial View Post
Please, get your facts straight. In 2003, Japan had a voter turn-out of 67.5% for its major election (lower house of Diet). The comparable U.S. election, the 2004 presidential election, had a turn-out rate of 56.2%, 11.3% less than the Japanese voter turn-out rate.

Here's a University of Tokyo report on it
You're comparing two different sizes of population. It's like comparing apples to oranges. In a larger state, many will carry the mentality that their votes don't matter. Along with all other hurdles of voting issues.

Quote:
While there are ties between organized crime and corrupt politicians, I don't think it's anywhere as extensive as you imagine it to be. Hope you are kidding about this one.
May be you're right, since my experience has been biased.

Quote:
Dunno which country you are imagining, but the Japanese government officials and SDF officers I met during the three years I lived there on official business did not give off the impression that they are a weak state. Just ask their Chinese, Taiwanese, and Korean neighbors.
Impression can be misleading. Japan is a proud state after all. Their military power, however, still frails in comparison to neighboring states.