View Single Post
Old 2020-03-12, 13:34   Link #7
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

First and foremost, I am no physician nor have any studies in said field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
And, no, it's not like the flu. Here's a description of the symptoms from an article in the Wall Street Journal about a Rhode Island school principal:

https://twitter.com/markberman/statu...17402728173569

This guy is 48.
From what I have read, covid-19 (name of the disease) is similar to the flu in the sense that it might cause pneumonia. This is a guess, but I suppose that the above tweet is describing a cytokine storm (the fluid in the lungs is not caused by saliva, but by an overreaction of the immune system), which btw was the cause of death in the 1918 pandemic. The video I link was made before the Wuhan spread and it is scary the parallels in both pandemics (china, greedy politicians, poor decision making).

The reason we should be worried about SARS-CoV-2 (name of the virus) is because it is tens of times more lethal than worse seasonal flu, it can be spread before any symptoms (i.e. high temperature) appear and on average it takes five days for symptoms to appear (which is a lot of time for community spread to happen).

The "good" news is that it does not kill the very young (so we are not facing extinction right in the face, at least not now, since the virus might mutate later on) and winter is ending (which IMO will not stop the virus spread on most countries until summer, first time in my life I can thank living in a place where we go from so-so winters to full blown summers in spring).

So yeah, Trump's travel ban will not prevent virus community spread and governments are still being reactive instead of proactive like china* did.

*you wont hear me often praise totalitarian governments.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote