View Single Post
Old 2007-05-16, 20:31   Link #814
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1 View Post
I think what Quarkboy was trying to explain is that if a device can play CFR MP4, then due to the structure of the format, it automatically qualifies as VFR capable too since to play the CFR it grabs the timestamp for each frame and holds it for said duration; the only difference with a VFR video being that these timestamps can be different for each frame, so rather than the parser reading the timestamps and holding all frames for the same duration, it reads the same timestamps and holds them for varying durations. In other words, VFR doesn't require any additional support, it's basically covered within the ability to read MP4 files or timestamps.
Quite well aware of how the nature of timestamps and frames work in MP4. Its the same generalization in MKV. There is no stored framerate/fps for the entire video but simply timestamps for each frame. But like I said we've seen so many other things deviated from quite easily in many places. Quicktime? Hello half-working Main/Baseline Profile! Whats that...you'll fix the decoder in a few years when the next update comes out, ok!

We can obviously glean from looking at the standards what should be working, but by no means should that be the answer to the questions asked. What Quarkboy answered to me just sounded like circular logic. "1: Can VFR MP4 files be played? 2: How did you make them? 1: By following the standard. 2: Then you can play them because its in the standard." That should have been obvious in my opinion. Variable framerate MP4s are not something created outside of the standard, they are an inherent part of it.

Good to hear it works in iPod at least. I would only assume other Apple products it is likely working as well then. I would rather like to know if the knew Xbox360 update with MP4 support works with them. I braww at joo Zero!
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote