View Single Post
Old 2012-05-08, 16:40   Link #645
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Eh, I've bought anime on R2s and I haven't rewatched one of the series I bought. There are different reasons why people buy anime on physical media, but the most prevalent I've heard from Japanese sources is that Japanese wish for a token of participation, a memorandum of the fun times they had. Obviously some people want to rewatch it, some people just like to support types of things they love.
I rarely watch the R2 series I buy as well, but this is why I said "something you think you'd want to rewatch". It has to have value that exceeds that transient "disposable" experience. If you have a limited amount of money to spend (which most do), how are you going to decide which shows to buy? Surely it'll be the shows that are most memorable or meaningful to you. Good animation can be one of the factors (among many) that help make a show memorable or meaningful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
You can sort of see the community experience in play a little bit on AS too for certain shows that are also a hit in Japan. Nisemonogatari comes to mind as does recently Hyouka where you can see people discussing the specifics of girls getting toothbrushes crammed into their mouths and "Dem Eyes" in the most serious business manner such things can possibly be discussed, but when you ask someone to point out the specific qualities they like about the shows typically the response is silence or an admission that they don't really know and that to me is very telling of a lot of things.
I don't think the discussion of these points are ever particularly serious at all. It's just a focal point that a group of fans identify with; it's a sort of a token, or a rallying point. Having these sorts of points helps foster the sense of community because it allows fans with lots of divergent opinions to still identify with a single point that can represent their shared interest in the show.

And I'm not sure what insight you think you've gained from people not being able to enumerate the qualities they like about a show, but I would suggest that enjoyment isn't purely logical. Being able provide a list of objective qualities that explain why you enjoy something doesn't make your enjoyment any more real or legitimate than anyone else, nor does it mean that person is stupid or unsophisticated for ostensibly not having thought it through. Sometimes people also don't feel they need to justify their enjoyment to others, and that nothing good will come of having their enjoyment questioned.

Anyway, I'm not sure how this thread turned into "questioning the tastes of anime fans based on sales predictions", but it's pretty pointless. People buy what they like and -- go figure -- sometimes they don't like what you like. That's opinions for you...