Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-27, 00:20   Link #25959
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Yes, no one can prevent these things 100%. But at least, for cell phones, there are laws in existence to minimize the effects of that stupidity.
You mean those not-quite-universal (39 states) laws that are nearly impossible to enforce, and for all intents and purposes worthless other than as a possible extra charge after said stupidity has already caused accidents and/or killed?

Not that I don't think those laws shouldn't exist, I just haven't seen anything that remotely suggests they've done anything to "minimize the effect".

Quote:
Don't forget to mention alcohol. Oh wait, that matter is pretty much settled as alcohol is regulated up the ass
It is? I don't recall having to submit to a background check before I buy a 6-pack at a 7-11

Quote:
Yet, drunk driving still happens from time-to-time, where people may die. The problem is not 100% removed; but at least it is not a "epidemic".
The 10k+ killed from drunk driving every year disagrees, and that's only counting the fatalities.

according to the CDC, approx. 1.4 million drivers were arrested in 2010 for DUI, which while sounds bad, it is dwarfed in comparison to the 112+ million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving - That's 213 DUIs every minute.

Hardly something that only happens "from time to time".