View Single Post
Old 2008-12-13, 02:56   Link #54
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim View Post
Endo Aya and Nanri Yuuka? I will be sure to check this out, even though the pictures from it look rather unappealing (but that's often the case with me and static images of character designs) and Sunrise is becoming more and more a synonym for mainstream crap in my mind. If this can somehow turn into something like a spiritual successor to Mai HiME (the director is the same and the cast seem to be very much female dominated) I will be quite ecstatic
Yes yes Sunrise is satan incarnate and Slice of Life is teh autowin and all that jazz, but since when was Mai-Hime not synonmous with mainstream as well? Oh right, I forgot, it's cool to like Mai-Hime so that cancels out it's vile mainstream status. My bad

Seriously, I love it when people pick and choose their likes and dislikes with seemingly careful scrutiny, yet still manage to generalize something in the process. If there's anything quite as phony I have yet to see it. "Mainstream=crap, unless it doesn't in which case it's fine, but as long as it doesn't have x in it, but if it has y then it's better than alright, but not if you has a little bit of z". Lol....

In my case I'll be perfectly blunt though, this whole period leading up to this franchise's debut has been a series of peaks and valleys as far as my interest in it and expectations go. On the one hand there's more then enough series of the type I like to call galfests out there, so it doesn't come across as fresh, but on the other hand I find the mecha and character design to be on the interesting side and still feel the series portrays some potential. I guess I have little choice to actually watch it and find out which is the truth and I'm sure everyone else who will be commentating blogwise will be giving it their single episode before they give one of the broad labels of crap or good (the only two labels their seem to be anymore) and then proceed to judge the entire remainder of the series based off of those intial impressions, without regard for whether they are still relevant of course. We wouldn't want this show to actually have a fair shot being the "mainstream crap Sunrise series" of the season after all would we now?

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-12-13 at 03:13.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote