View Single Post
Old 2009-06-13, 13:51   Link #42
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

I just got out of high school in the states and I don't think that it is really the anime itself that people tease. At my school I was friends with as many stereotypical jock kids as stereotypical nerds because I am a bit of both(more nerd if you ask me). Mentioning anime in passing with either doesn't detract from your social standing. Both groups sort of saw it as a small personality quirk or a slightly odd hobby. The only real difference is that the jock type kids would put on a confused or bored face and the nerds would put on a confused or intrigued face whenever anime viewing was mentioned.

The stigma of anime viewing, at least in my school, came from the "anime club" who constantly hung posters with the rising sun around our school and seemed to attract the five kids from every grade who absolutely refused to shower.

Edit: I would like to say though, that advertising your love of anime will reward you with a social stigma. Being not secretive but discreet about your anime viewing will keep your social standing intact in high school. Walking around with Naruto wear or decorating social network pages or personal keepsakes with anime related stuff will likely cast a large social stigma on you.
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote