Thread: Gender Roles
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-30, 09:54   Link #10
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Although I do admit I am generalising, the social constructs right now, as I see it, are permitting women to hold disdain against men who cannot hold their own in this world and also be able to support a woman. When a woman cannot do this, as I see the social pressure, it is accepted and even welcomed, as a woman who 'requires' support. This reinforces the old values that women are demure, and they require male help. And they do not!
I do not get what do you expect me to think about this. If we look at couple (whether they are married or not) it is logical that both of them must give something for the relation to work and ATM men are in a position where most of the time they can fetch (if not 100% at least 50% of) the household income. It is very important for woman to be wary of men that cannot pull their own weight as I know too many marriages when the woman gets a 100% of the income and the man does nothing-at-all (since house work is in their minds women-only work).

Quote:
Both genders have equal rights to receive help, and not be prosecuted for "not being a man" or "being a woman."
This statement is way to generic, I do not know what you are talking about.

Quote:
These outdated ideas that are at odds with feminism, of women not being able to hold their own, of men having to be able to support women, is what I'm arguing against - for both genders!
I repeat myself, if we lived in a world with equal oportunities it would make sense to ask women to "hold their own". I do not know your country but at least where I live in most couples (as in, unless you are rich) both of them work (since otherwise you cannot make ends by the end of the month).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote