View Single Post
Old 2012-01-23, 02:59   Link #27254
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
My idea about Erika is that she's nothing else but Bern's Mary Sue.
Haha, well Bern does call her "her double".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku View Post
I'm one of those people who dislikes a certain part of the ending of EP8. And that part, is the part where BATTLER suddenly went super saiyan and beat the mess out of Bern when he shouldn't have been able to under any circumstances.
That scene bothered me for a similar reason when I read it the first time. When I read it the next time I was seeing Lambda and Bern as metaphors for metaphysical forces, gods, if you will. "Praying" to Bern is hoping things outside your control will go your way, while "praying" to Lambda is believing your efforts will be rewarded.

Meanwhile, the conflicts and alliances seen in the Meta-World are metaphors for things happening in the real world. Lambda and Bern, doing what they do, mean different things to different people in different situations. In this way they can play various roles (ally, villain etc.) in various circumstances. Neither Lambda or Bern are inherently good or evil; after all, they are just metaphors of (meta)physical forces.

Now, gods like Lambda and Bern are only influential in so far as they and their power is believed in. Lambda's death symbolized a destruction of the belief that persistent effort would certainly yield success, and Battler beating Bern represented a rejection of her power to control his fate. It's basically a matter of willpower; Bern tried to make everything go wrong for Battler's real world goals, but he just refused to let that discourage him.

Of course these ideas are highly abstract. I probably didn't explain my thoughts in a way that's very easy to understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
I want to clear something up about Photographic memory. I think some of us on here are treating that as some kind of video recorder in Erika's head that records every single waking second and that she can play this back at will and check instantly. Eidetic memory doesn't work that way. In particular:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eidetic_memory
This is an enlightening lesson, but I think it doesn't matter because Erika is flamboyantly unrealistic; even if RK07 knew better, wouldn't her abilities still be the Hollywood versions anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
Funny enough saying there was no objective viewpoint in all EP 5 can also mean that Erika was also something that was made up and that she actually was never witnessed by anyone in Rokenjima...
LOL, poor Erika, I've just denied her existence...

... and weren't there theories that assumed Erika never existed in Rokkenjima?
Someone willing to refresh my memory?
Quote:
However, I think that a few Reds can deny this. Namely,
I got one: Furudo Erika only increases it (the person count) by one person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealym View Post
Grr, I hate not having internet access. Everyone decides to become chatty, chatty essayists while I'm gone. XD

As I've said before, this issue is just a sore spot for me. Noone's disproved my "Kanon has a body theory" (which in my mind explains everything, is still thematically fitting, and is rather simple to understand), and I doubt anyone can convince me otherwise. Or at least, I haven't heard any real counter.
Your theory is based on the idea that Kanon always counts as a person, even when he has no body. But then how can the answer to the number of people on the island including Erika be 17? Wouldn't it be 18?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
I can only think of the EP3 chained locked room where it was because Shkannon had two master keys... Hm...
How is ShKanon needed for that? As far as I can tell ShKanon was never needed until EP6. The closest was the death of Nanjo in EP3, but even that still had the dying Kyrie theory.

Quote:
That's what I'm confused about. Beatrice seems to be saying that there cannot be more than 17 humans in all games, and yet, Erika says that she is the 18th human. It's so confusing.

...Well, Erika!Ball gets around this, but. >_>; Then again, I guess Erika!Ball gets around everything.
I thought the Reds at the beginning of EP5 about Erika made it clear that she was an exception who actually increased this maximum by 1.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote