View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 19:05   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Bandwidth limits typically don't matter as much as connection limits. If you're in active clouds with hundreds of peers, having a connection limit of 200 is certainly a likely reason for why the router falls over.
Seiji is absolutely right. It doesn't have anything to do with the speed - even if a connection were faster than a router could handle (which is very rare today), it would just mean that the maximum speed you would receive would be the router's maximum. I wouldn't expect the router to lock up over it.

Take a look at the max simultaneous connection limits of some routers. The list isn't comprehensive, but take note that some of the routers with higher limits tend to be the better-rated (and more expensive).

It's anecdotal, but I've used a few routers by now and can verify that the connection limit is important. I've had a few routers (Linksys) with a simultaneous connection limit in the 60's, and I could easily lock it up with a few hours of torrenting. You get around that issue by limiting the maximum number of connections that your torrent client makes (although routers with a low session limit can still freeze up after hours of torrent activity, even with a reduced connection count).

On the other hand, I had a fantastic router (D-link) with a limit in the 200's. That one could handle torrents and other web traffic, and I only had to reboot it every other month or so.

Now I'm using a router with a limit of close to 30,000 (Apple). In the face of traffic that locked up even the D-link, this one goes with zero problems. I've even upped my maximum number of connections for a torrent, and whereas previously I only had one or two computers on the network at a time, I'm now running with more devices using the wireless network at a time. It's been running for months, and I have not yet had to reboot it because it froze up.

Granted, there's more to a router than its maximum connection limit... but if torrents are causing trouble, that's likely it. Don't throttle your speed, just drop your maximum number of connections to a lower number. Back in the early 2000's I think the advice was to limit it to 60, but if other members of your household are heavily using the internet, consider dropping it even lower. Your speeds will suffer, but you have to do what you have to do...