View Single Post
Old 2007-05-10, 16:18   Link #657
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Well, I enjoyed the 3rd batch of episodes quite a lot. DtB continues to impress with really solid characterisation and unexpective perspectives.

In particular, I preferred this dilogy compared to the first two because episode 5 focused so much on the British, instead of on the Syndicate (Hei and co.) and because episode 6 really furthered Hei's character. His scenes with Carmine showed quite succinctly that our protagonist's bi-polar issues vis-a-vis dorky Lee and coldly murderous Hei are not so bi-polar after all.

Hei managed to show quite a lot of intensity and emotion while staying in his Hei persona, which was previously presented as deadly calm. Which, in turn, exposed that calm as a false facade. I thought it was quite interesting that the real person behind the "Hei" and "Lee" aliases is somewhat of an amalgamation of the two. The character traits of both personas began to intermingle as soon as the real Hei began to emerge under stress from meeting Carmine again.

I thought it was very effective.

Needless to say, the episode was very pleasant to watch. Both considering what I've mentioned above and the visual presentation. BONES really outdid themselves.

Spoiler for November:

PS: Though, seriously, what's up with that preview?!