View Single Post
Old 2010-11-03, 13:09   Link #18358
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

My main problem is that it's a gamble without edging the odds in favor of his anticipated and desired outcome. That is within Kinzo's character; remember way back to the first two episodes where his study is magically warded. Kinzo intended that he might be chosen by the witch's ritual, yet he also consciously took steps to ensure his own survival to the end. Of course we know that's all bunk, but part of Kinzo's personality is not merely that he's a risk-taker, but that he makes seemingly impossible bets he knows he isn't going to lose.

Part of why he knows that is indeed because he's a genius; his financial acumen speaks for itself. However, if given a situation where he had full control over matters, it seems rather odd that he'd essentially offer his "preferred" choice no greater probability of success than any other, and arguably less than his own legitimate children.

There's the argument that he didn't know, and that Genji was subtly encouraging Yasu because he knew he/she was indeed the child, but all of that is somewhat questionable. Certainly we can take from it that Genji believed - or wanted Yasu to believe - that solving the epitaph would prove his/her identity. However, that seems to have been kept from Kinzo. So unless Kinzo is such a genius that he can predict himself going insane and Genji working secretly against his alleged trust relationship to cheat the epitaph and ensure Yasu was the first to solve it... well, sorry, I would put that past Kinzo.

And if the goal was merely "throw the riddle out there and hope for the best," well that's just dumb on Kinzo's part. At least include something you think only the right individual could figure out.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote