Thread: Needless
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-12, 02:59   Link #8833
Avvesione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
Though the fansubs of the anime were, IMO, the reason for the manga scanlations to pick up. I remember before it was a pain to find anything other than some raws floating about and the first few chapters, but post-anime there just seemed to be so much more awareness.

You can currently stream Needless on Netflix right now too.
Oh yeah, no doubt the fansubs and anime helped revive popularity in the manga and the franchise in general. If it weren't for the anime/fansubs, I never would've gotten into the manga and many others would not have either. And then with more popularity, then the raws started picking up and eventually scanlations groups formed. In that sense, the anime wasn't a failure.

But going back to the commercial side of it, I believe the DVD/BDs sold roughly only ~500 copies per volume which is a horrifying low number. The typical line many fans look to is around 3,000, so you can see how big of a miss it was here. Doesn't help that it was also Madhouse's worst team working on it, too. Then again, it was never meant to be a commercial success given the amount of funds it had going into it and the amount of advertising and merchandise, so maybe failure it a bit harsh and disappointment is a better word.

As for the stream on Netflix... I'll pass. The only one who I thought did well was Eve's English voice. Cruz's English voice makes me want to slam my head into anything blunt or sharp repeatedly and Disk's English always sounded woefully bored. And the way they pronounced the Japanese character's names... ugh. I hope people aren't as elitist as I am and can enjoy the dub, but I just can't.