View Single Post
Old 2008-01-08, 09:33   Link #43
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
I believe private affairs should be kept out of political affairs.

uh, no.
Uh, yes. There is a difference between leading your private life and leading a country. Both the decisions to be taken and their consequences. In fact I don't see any correlations between how politicans manage their private life and their office. If anything, a public display of morality and fanatism often go hand in hand.

If you're aiming for the top, your family takes second place anyway. If you're a familiy (wo)man you neither have the time nor the energy to take a leading position. That's just how it is, and one should neither complain nor delude oneself here.

If you want to know if a politican is capable of taking over a job it wouldn't it be a simpler idea to look how he's doing in his current position instead of musing about what the relationships between blowjobs and international crises are?

And if you want to delve into ethical philosophy then you have to do it properly. What did the politican do? What were the abstract values he based his decisions on? How do they affect the capability of doing his job positively or negatively? That does of course take for granted that people do carry a consistent ethics around with them, what I doubt. In any case, from the factoid "He got divorced and married another one 6 months later." I at least cannot conclude anything.

Now to put the discussion back on track. America's foreign policy was always oscillating between Empire and Isolation and we're going to see a massive swingback during the coming decade, especially when voters start to realize that GWB was not the root of all evil sent to earth from deep space, and that neither the state of the US nor that of the world will magically change once he's gone. For the non-US citicens this election will therefore probably mean much less than normally.

Last edited by Slice of Life; 2008-01-08 at 09:45.
Slice of Life is offline   Reply With Quote