View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 17:06   Link #1294
Dreyakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velsy View Post
Um, I only just sorta started this Light novel, after reading the 10 manga chapters. So I know I am not up to the latest of chapters yet. But I have a question to ask about chapter 3 (where I currently am) Its to do with Mari. I'll put it in a spoiler just for spoiler sake.

Spoiler for Chapter 3:
Many things are lost in the context of the manga, since each chapter only has at best 30 or so pages to work with.

Essentially, Mari's response is twofold. First: she recognizes that Tatsuya was able to weasel everyone present out of any responsibility of wrong doing. From a law enforcement perspective, having these people in the field is a headache. However, having these people on your side is awesome. Second, as someone else mentioned earlier, knowing that Tatsuya can read Activation Sequences is huge. This is like knowing what spell your opponent is going to use, then tapping two blue mana and using Counter Spell. It gives a massive advantage in combat, and, again from the law enforcement perspective, you can now prove that people had the intent to use dangerous magic.

In the School Council Meeting, Mari called Tatsuya "boring" because he's practically impossible to fluster. Think of a generic shounen series, any generic shounen series. In general, young, impressionable, red-blooded males are easily distracted or flustered by beautiful ladies of similar age. Tatsuya... is immune to this. Rather than being "boring", Tatsuya is able to take the best teasing hits you can throw at him, then retaliate with something of his own.

In conclusion, Mari wants to recruit Tatsuya for his outstanding abilities: to think on his feet and ability to discern Activation Sequences. She merely thinks he's boring because there's no way in hell she can get any reaction out of him. (As you will see in future chapters)