View Single Post
Old 2012-10-01, 11:21   Link #199
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
I've been thinking about the "fairness" of Skullreaper, but if the boss is taken from the PoV of a non death game then would it be unfair?
No, I think it would be fine in that case. The only point that makes it unfair to me is the fact that there's no way to gain any intel about the boss at all. The team that opens the door has basically two choices: win, or everyone dies. And if everyone dies, then the next team that tries has to start from scratch not even knowing what the first team did to get themselves killed. All along until now, there's been some way to sort of "scope out" the boss, learn its attack patterns, and form a boss strategy (which Asuna was doing, as we may recall). But here, the only way is to bring in a large and diverse group of talented people, come up with a strategy on the fly, and hope enough people stay alive to beat the boss. If you fail, you've just lost that entire large group (including whoever was coming up with the strategy).

If this were a non-death game, it'd be totally fair, because you could just keep on trying until you get it right, so you could learn from your failures. But playing "Heroic Mode" without having any intel at all about the bosses (and no margin for error) is way too harsh, IMO.