View Single Post
Old 2009-09-03, 18:30   Link #58
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Guys not all 1.2 billion Chinese people in the world are conniving plagiarizers and bootleggers with no respect for other people's property seriously this is getting on my nerves.
I kinda found it funny. It's like yea let's ignore all those human rights violations* and free speech suppression*, but OH NOS THEY COPIED ANIMU !!!!11111

*And yes I realize, judging by own location, that's definitely throwing rocks from a glass house. Which is why this nationalism crap really annoys me. It's like the petty insult of calling Americans fat. Now seriously? But of course, people=/ government. Usually people refer to the later when referring to a country.

It's only natural for people to hold an interest in Japan around here, since after all, most of us like anime and immersing yourself in another culture is fun and often enlightening. I won't hesitate to admit I'd rather go to Japan than China, but the majority of us who don't live in either country shouldn't really comment on the countries as a whole based on a section of their culture. It's patronizing and insulting, kinda like my friends IRL who insert broken Japanese into their talk without really understanding what they hell they are talking about or truly appreciating the culture they supposedly adore. It just gets on my nerves. I really doubt one would make much friends in Japan just yelling out "KAWAII DESU" a lot, but that's just me.

And it goes the other way around too. I'm Chinese American, and a lot of my older relatives would not approve of my like of anime, because well there's quite a strong anti-Japanese sentiment due to the horrible things that happened in WW2 and also the interpretation of history and related disputes between Japan and China (and Korea). I wonder if this could be related to the lack of concern for plagiarism of anime. But hey, I don't bear a grudge against Japan, because well, I know it has nothing to do with the Japanese people at large (well, at least today, save for a few extremists)

And hey, let's not even look that far. Ever heard the terms "Japanophile" or "weeaboo" or some of the more asinine assumptions targeted at people who dare appreciate cartoons from another country? Just because someone thinks that country is "weird"

Ok, that was a long useless rant. I apologize if I sound too preachy, but something out of this thread caused me to just keep talking and talking. But my posts are always recommended with a grain of salt, as I usually don't take them too seriously. TL;DR: Generalizations suck.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-09-03 at 19:02.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote