View Single Post
Old 2012-06-21, 17:17   Link #2286
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Mixed feelings are mixed.

On one hand, I'm glad that we finally are getting solid indication that we are not meant to side with Flit, and that AGE isn't going to conclude with the message that in order to achieve peace you need to wipe out an entire faction of humanity. So that is one concern out of the way, arguably the major concern IMO.

I also would like to point out that there is nothing inherently wrong with an understanding ending. I actually think that the message that we as humans are able to over come a centuries worth of bloodshed to come to an understanding and live with each other in harmony is actually a mighty powerful message, and one I fully support if the show decides to go down that route.

That message is also enhanced by having Kio (hopefully) changing Flit's mindset and showing us that the man who represents the intense hatred towards all of the Vegens for what they had done to him can also be convinced that they are in fact, humans and not demons to be annihilated and purged from the universe.

In a lot of ways, this is the best way to end this 100 70 65 year old epic, and certainly in the most optimistic way.

On the other hand, this is a story written by Hino Akihiro. So chances are, we will get a finale with the core idea being agreeable, but the execution of it all will leave much to be desired.

I hate to be negative about this show (really, I do. I honestly like this show and think it has a lot of good ideas within it, not to mention I had invested a lot of money into buying the BD's and Music related to the show) but I have to say, no matter how great the ideas in AGE are, from the 3 generational concept to the 100 ... sorry, 65 year epic to the evolving conflict etc I can't help but feel like the writing had been all around not only lacking and sloppy, but at times even awful. Things like Farden and the whole Zeheart/Asem/Romary ''triangle'' and Flit's ''I will Kill all the Vegeans'' had been pretty bad (the last one in particular since even by the start of the 3rd generation, we ended up getting more fuel for his reasoning that they need to be destroyed when we see Olviertown's civilians get incinerated) and I'm left sort of dreading the outcome of Kio deciding to fight without killing an enemy who are, as had been pointed out, are fanatics who are more than willing to kill themselves the moment they are about to be captured rather than live on.

This will all be dependent, I suspect, on the next few episodes and on seeing exactly what is the Vegan civilian population is like, since we had only really been able to get to know them through their inhumane military (a major misstep on part of the AGE staff IMO, since we are now going into the final stretch without much sympathy for any character on the Vegan side)

This is a wait and see case, of course, and I will continue to keep an open mind about it, without being biased (or at the very least, try not to be) about Level-5's other written works, but it's hard to be optimistic when the show had been falling so short of my expectations ...

One thing I will say, if Kio is going to try and change his Grandpa's viewpoint, then he better get some pretty sad stories from the Martians he befriends while in captivity, cause Flit got under his belt stories about how a boy lost his mother, how he got his home colony destroyed twice, how he had an innocent civilian girl used as a human child before being killed in front of him, how a man had his entire family while they were living in a non-military colony killed for no reason, and of course how a certain Olivertown had it's civilian population just cause the Vegans felt like it.

Then again, Kio is meant to be the saviour. If anyone will be able to justify the unjustifiable ...