View Single Post
Old 2012-12-20, 03:24   Link #836
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I'm more concerned whether or not the "sacrifice" will actually make any real difference. Banning "evil black rifles" and high-capacity magazines will not stop this. Real change has to come--real change to public healthcare, to education, to the entire paradigm of gun control laws. The existing laws are worthless. We don't need more "feel-good" laws that clearly demonstrate the lawmakers behind them don't know shit about firearms.

Even with all of this, even if we can stand to look in the mirror long enough to pick out all the cracks and flaws so we can fix them, a lock only keeps out an honest man. If someone wants to kill bad enough, they will not stop even if they have to bash out their victims' brains with a rock.

Even without any access to a gun, it's easy enough to make dangerous explosive devices with things that aren't even regulated or tracked at all. Anyone who's ever taken a chemistry class would know how to do it.
I whole heartedly agree with you on this and acknowledged as such briefly in my few posts in this thread. Gun bans or arming everyone are nothing more than a knee-jerk reaction to a horrible situation that does not even begin to address so many issues that drive such madness. There is no short term solution. And government and their laws are just empty words on papers. So who does it fall back to if we are seeking any kind of solutions?

There is a huge public awareness for breast cancer and AIDS. Many states are actively making massive headways against smoking and drunk driving. States are also actively engaging in changing behavior such as not wearing seat belts or distracted driving and etc. Changing behavior is doable.

To answer my own question, it has to be us. It's pretty much whatever we will decide on what kind of change we want.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote