View Single Post
Old 2010-11-02, 19:13   Link #336
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Or perhaps...and this is merely speculation, mind you...it's just a TV series with only about 22 minutes to an episode, and having Ranka ask about Gilliam would entail four or five minutes of Ranka/Ozma talk that wouldn't move the plot forward, but would actually push it back, since really, the only reasons Gilliam was in the show in the first place were to provide Alto with a VF, get a rather shocking death, and to have a funeral which explains a) a little more about how SMS does things differently than the NUNS forces, and b) how Frontier is a closed environmental system.

In episode 13, the entire 33rd Marine Division gets killed after specifically requesting Sheryl's performance. Does she ever ask about them? Does that likewise make her worthy of censure?
Did anyone ask about the 33rd after their demise or were they all too wrapped up in getting nearly destroyed by the Vajra?

The difference is here that we saw Alto caring about Gilliams death. And we saw Ranka not even thinking about it for a second.

We didn't see anyone having even the time to mourn the 33rd, because they had to stop the giant Vajra fleet of death. The show moved on with its plot the next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei19 View Post

In the middle of this dilemma, Alto heard Ranka's song and all those conflicting emotions VanisheD. And this is why I really realized that it really was Ranka that pushed Alto to join SMS.

It was the same in episode 1 when they cut off his corkscrew for Sheryl's concert because it draws attention away from Sheryl. He was nonchalant about the whole thing. But after he met Ranka, his spirit went back up and did the corkscrew whether his crew liked it or not.

There's something about little green girl that sparks Alto is what I noticed. In other words, she makes him do crazy stuffs lmfao
First off, no, Alto was upset at being denied doing the corkscrew. He did it to spite Michael, who expressly forbid it and then teased Alto about it.

And saying that Alto only joined SMS because of Rankas singing is incredibly simplistic. There is a host of reasons why Alto joined. Wanting to protect Ranka, wanting to protect his home, charting his own future, not running away anymore, wanting to fly in a less limited space, wanting to fly the VF-25. And I'd probably find more reasons if I'd go deeper into Altos motivations.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2010-11-02 at 19:29.
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote