View Single Post
Old 2011-08-19, 17:28   Link #27
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
A show can be both unoriginal and good at the same time by taking familiar story elements and presenting them in a well-made manner. For example, Sturges' The Magnificent Seven is a retelling of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai beat for beat. However, it's still a great film with a lot of entertaining scenes. Critics worth their salt wouldn't go around complaining about how it's unoriginal. When it comes to anime, there's almost no show that copies its original to this degree, so why is originality so much a problem?
Was there some confusion with what I said earlier? Of course a show can be unoriginal and good at the same time by telling it well. I haven't seen The Magnificent Seven, but if it really does have entertaining scenes and the characters are good, then I could care less if it's a retelling. However, I have seen a lot of unoriginal media that don't do this, or even try to make its own creation as well. But worst of all is when that medium thinks it's being original when it's not. In that case, I say call it as unoriginal as you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Shows sell precisely because they give their customers what they want - that's pretty much the first rule of salesmanship. That doesn't have anything to do with predictable or not taking chances or anything like that, it just means providing the kind of entertainment that caters to their customers.
I didn't say that a show shouldn't give its customers what they want, but for it to truly stand out, it also has to give them what they didn't know they wanted. That means it still has to give them what they want while offering something new. Apologies if I didn't make that clear.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote