View Single Post
Old 2012-09-20, 15:57   Link #101
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I think you've confused drama, or worse violence, with maturity. A mature story isn't simply R-rated materials (and I disagree with your notion that anyone in Naruto could be considered "R-Rated"),
i knew someone would jump on the hidan example and gloss over all the others like politics and strategy... still, hidan is unquestionably an R rated villain according to mpaa standards. others are there or close as well, but i'm providing the most pertinent example. also i was addressing hunter's question involving maturity when i spoke of hidan. hunter's question of advanced material would be politics, strategy, mystery, etc...

Quote:
That being said, the series literally started with the main character almost getting killed by a deranged traitor, and then led to a fucked up little boy talking about killing a certain person, then a big bad was introduced who went out of his way to explain just which parts of the body he was going to carve up first. And this is not even really mentioning the body changing pedophile, the blood drenched insomniac from Sand or any of the other extremely violent (for a series meant for 12 year old kids) stories and characteristics found throughout Part I. Everything in Part II is a relatively simple escalation from Part I, and none of this reflects on the maturity of the story.
you're basically arguing my original point in that the story is not meant for only 12 year olds. it's clearly mature material. i recognize that it's been mature material from the getgo. my second point was that it kept getting more mature. ero-senn1n's point about haku being killed is a good one. but i don't see how it's more mature a sacrifice than jiraiya's or yahiko's or obito's for that matter

edit: took out the homer stuff... i dont think its really relevant to this discussion. i was merely providing an example of love being used in classic literature as a catalyst
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote