View Single Post
Old 2007-05-14, 22:45   Link #96
andiyar
wingéd prettygirl
*Author

Send a message via AIM to andiyar Send a message via MSN to andiyar
I haven't visited this forum yet, so I've a bit of catching up to do... that said, I suppose I can ruminate a bit on this episode.

I seem to have joined the lowest four people in giving this episode an 8 out of 10. That is rather shocking to me, that the lowest rating given to an episode is an 8. Perhaps it's a remnant of the Kanon voting system that is throwing me here...

That said, I gave it an eight for a reason. I am highly enjoying sola, moreso than almost any anime I have seen in a long time - for reasons already extolled here - the character interactions, the dialogue and some very very cute (and funny!) subversive moments (a lá Matsuri/Yorito in the boat last episode). However, I don't think this episode was perfect, for two reasons... which are, I suppose, one reason that expressed itself twice - and that reason is pace.

The first was the flashback scene involving Aono and Matsuri, and the cavern. It's possible I'm penalising this too early, as there will hopefully be further illumination on the flashback in the next episode or two, but at the moment, the flashback feels awfully jerky to me, in terms of what it is trying to set up. Additionally, the tram car dialogue between Matsuri and Aono seemed to suffer a few problems as well, possibly due to the reliance on the flashback to establish the connection. I quite understand what happened, I just think the execution could be a tiny bit cleaner.

As for the rest of the episode - Matsuri on the futon teasing (or not) Yorito was pure magic, as was the rooftop moment at the end. I'm starting to have thoughts of "the head vampire" pathos, but that might be completely wrong (in regards to loli-in-a-box & Aono & Matsuri, relationship-wise). It will be very interesting to watch and see.

-Andiyar