View Single Post
Old 2013-03-28, 05:55   Link #211
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
I would think that's the sort of thing that motivates "evil higher-ups" to send the 666th on more and more suicide missions. It's not like they can refuse, right?
Well, it's not like most of their missions are unnecessary - the whole Laserjagd missions are an important part of East German tactics.

As for the danger level...well, it's no more dangerous than being Fried Chicken, Stasi or no Stasi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh
So is Chapter 20 of the light novel series then supposed to be a flashback? The sample illustrations show Liz and Theodor in school uniforms.
At least part of it, yes.

According to Theodore's memories, both Liz and his adoptive family were all executed by Stasi, after they tried to cross the Berlin Wall.

Quote:
Kirke's "East-Asian-black" hair is still remarkably rare amongst ethnic Germans, I would think.
It depends on personal perceptions; I don't see it at all as "East-Asian Black". Black hair is black, and it's hard to say how it would really look like; Gretel has almost exact hair color for example, and she's 100% ethnic German. I'll admit, Kirke's hairstyle is somewhat Japanese (with exception of the corckscrew ponytail...thing), but that might come down to personal preference. Plus, as I said, black hair is uncommon in Germany, but not ultra-rare. Between 15% to 20% of Germans in southern areas has black hair; almost all of south Germany is in the "West German" sphere. Kirke is West German.

Unless Kire gives a huge exposition on her family though, this will never get "canonically" solved.

Quote:
I take it that as events progressed, that situation would change for the worse as the BETAs chewed their way through East Germany.
I'm not so sure. Muv-Luv shows that humans will always be the enemy of other humans, and historically, West-East German relationship were *really* bad. To put it into perspective, until late 70s/early 80s RFA did not consider DDR as sovereign country. It was called "The so-called Eastern Germany" and "Undemocratic Ungerman Dictatorship" among others.

Schwarzemarken show that West Germany is *still* treated with highest order of prejudice, given how they go out of their way to lock them out of East-German communications during joint operations, beyond what's absolutely necessary to coordinate army movements. That, and Western troops are still treated as borderline enemies, even as they're saving NVA's ass outta fire.

That gives some food for thought.

Quote:
Including getting an "anime-girl" butterfly hair ornament.
It's something you can get in most stores selling these kind of ornaments.

Besides, to me Carnelian-sama is trying to channel "cool foreign beauty"...but you're already in a story where everyone is a cool foreign beauty.
So, Japanese style ho!

And it's not like Schwarzemarken is wholly realistic about those things. I mean, silver hair is not a legitimate hair color for Polish women unless they dye it, for example.

Quote:
I doubt the East Germans, deprived as they were of 1st-World Media in the 1980s, would be exposed to famous fashion trends as the rest of the 1st World was. How old is Liz anyway? In reality, twintails and hair bows almost always get put away after girls get past 12 years of age.
You'd be surprised; West German television and radio could have been picked up by commercially-available radios and TVs in East Germany. Jamming it wasn't an option, because that would jam broadcasts in West Germany. The only region where you couldn't pick up those broadcasts was Dresden.

Also, Liz is somewhat younger than Theodore. By a few years, not sure how much exactly.

@Grevierr

Sadly, there aren't any.

Last edited by Alastor Mobius Toth; 2013-03-28 at 17:07.
Alastor Mobius Toth is offline   Reply With Quote