View Single Post
Old 2012-05-18, 23:31   Link #263
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarMoon View Post
Not everyone puts an extremely high priority on self-preservation, which is partly why soldier's don't constantly flee their military service or why you don't hear regular stories about firefighters sacrificing civilains in order to save their own lives. I don't think it's that bizarre when people say they'd act selflessly, especially in such an extreme scenario. If I asked a random parent whether they'd sacrifice their own life for that of their child, they'd almost certainly say "yes" and I'd believe them. And sacrificing thousands of lives for your own would be selfish just as answering "no" to the previous question would make you a bad parent.
Which is why I said "yourself first, then those close to you, and lastly everyone else". It's relatively normal to be willing to sacrifice your own life to save your kids/wife/friends you name it, but you'd need a greater sense of altruism to be willing to save those you don't even know about.

Soldiers and firefighters and police and similar line of jobs have been trained for it. They have an oath to be selfless, knew what's in store for them and have an ample of time to prepare for that fateful moment. Some commoners don't have that same sense of selflessness, which is why we look up to them.

Though sacrificing your life is indeed a selfless act, simply wanting to stay alive shouldn't be viewed as selfish. It's what you'd expect out of a living human being.

Anyway, enough blabbering and let's just enjoy the upcoming new episode! Maybe we'd get to see some cool action now.