View Single Post
Old 2008-05-14, 15:20   Link #11
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I wonder...I think there's a difference between fanfiction and doujinshi. This is just my personal opinion, but I've always thought that doujinshi tend to focus more on art (and in some cases, r-rated scenes that don't appear in the canon) rather than story. Fanfiction on the other hand, is more focused on plot and/or character developement.
That's why I pointed out RETAKE.

Doujinshi, for the most part, it's done as a way for amateur manga artists to make a couple of bucks. Most of them don't care much about what they're doing, and they throw in sex because that's what the doujinshi-buying fandom wants. However, from time to time there are these odd doujins where you can find that, surprisingly, the whole thing doesn't just amount to sex between two already-established characters. You can find that, actually, the guy that did it put a lot of effort in presenting the already-established characters in a new fashion, and that some heavy thinking went into the writing. And RETAKE is the best example of the bunch. It attempts to present an alternative ending to the NGE series--something that I'm sure was tried countless times in the realm of fanfiction--but it does it amazingly well. Much better than the official crap we got from Hayashi Fumino (Iron Maiden the 2nd, known as Angelic Days in the US), that's for sure. It's a sort of proof that fanfiction, even though it mostly sucks and it will always suck in my mind, still has the potential within it.

Quote:
While it's very true that there are quite a lot of bad fanfiction on the net, I don't think fanfiction writing in general is worthless. It's like art...amateur artists don't go off and start drawing original works when they've never drawn a picture before. They take an example and try to copy it, and by repeatedly doing so, they try to improve. Same with writing and fanfiction.
That's why I said that all art is derivative

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote