View Single Post
Old 2012-12-19, 10:05   Link #19
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
But six years ago, in the high of my anime addiction, a constant question always float over my head: "how can i ever stop watching anime?". Back then it has became a part of my life, a form of passion, a high form of entertainment that encourage my spirit and get me through the deepest stress. During that time, I constantly questioned myself on how anime can do such deeds, and why book, movie, games can't quite do the same.
I feel very similarly to you, including the rest of what you wrote in your post. I suspect that there are a few reasons why anime evoked those feelings whereas other forms of entertainment didn't. The storytelling, the types of stories told, and the emphasis on certain aspects of life and humanity were big factors that made anime different, and that made it connect with us. If you're like me and strongly prefer subs to dubs, it probably helps that anime is in another language. It's a form of escapism, in a way, and having something outside of your native language aids in the escape from reality.

Quote:
And once we stops believing in those thing, that is when anime is nothing more than a childish show to us?
Not quite, the interpretation just changes. For example, consider the science in anime. When I watched anime back before my university days, the science fiction was fantastic. Obviously it wasn't reality, nor was it a blueprint for reality, but it felt as if we could make many of those things real if we tried. Scientific terms were tossed around series that left me scrambling to look them up and then figure out how they might be applied to reality.

After university and graduate school, my interpretation changed. I actually had a hard time getting back into anime because of it. Perhaps due to my greater knowledge, the scientific terms and concepts that were thrown around no longer seemed insightful, but utterly ridiculous; some of the science fiction aspects also seemed more like fantasy, because they were truly impossible.

Despite that, the series are still enjoyable. I no longer view them as possibilities for what we can do with the future; rather, I just enjoy them as story-telling devices.

I've used science as the example here, but the same could be said for many other appealing aspects of anime. Romantic relationships? Concepts of justice? All areas where anime can provide an appealing take on the topic, but that you discover don't necessarily work out that way in reality.

You can still appreciate anime even once you learn and accept reality for what it is. You just come to define anime a bit differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I don't know how young you are, but MEN NEVER GROW UP.
I'm nearing my 40s, and some-old-rutt in this forum is like, 55.

If you're a girl, you should have grown up at like, age 6. Or something.
Peter Pan syndrome is boys' privilege!

Quote:
Thank for everyone's response, and honestly, i fully understand where everyone coming from. But still, i can't get it out of my head, on how my passion toward anime AND the naive dreams/fantasy which i am so fond of, has been fighting a losing battle against reality (without me realising for the past 6 years). And that i will never be able to live in the reality and truely enjoy anime (like i once was)
Again, I feel similarly. I can't tell you that you'll be able to return to the passions of your youth, though. When we're younger we don't know as much in general, and so everything seems simpler and limitless. As you know more you come to understand the limits. Granted, some of the limits are artificial (we perceive them to be there but they're not), but many are not. You lose some of your enthusiasm with that knowledge.