Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-06-05, 23:49   Link #7693
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Umm no. Some people are too stupid to drive too. Should we ban cars? Some people are too stupid to use a stove in a kitchen. Or use a knife at the dinner table. Some people are too stupid to have kids. Hold a job. etc, etc. Sorry but what I said is not an argument against gun ownership. And gun ownership is a right in America, and I hope that never changes. I know I will never surrender my ownership of them.
Like having kids or a wife, firearm responsibility is tough to handle. And yes, some people simply can't learn how to handle them.

Quote:
My 1911 has several safeties. Not only your typical thumb safety(mine has one on each side as I went for the ambidextrous safety option), as well as the typical grip safety(you have to be gripping the gun for the trigger to be usable), as well as the standard trigger safety. It's also not a double action, so if the hammer is not cocked back, it won't strike the firing pin. There is 0% chance of me shooting myself accidentally with that firearm. I carry with one in the chamber whenever I'm at my dad's horse ranch, and whenever I'm in Az. And even though the 1911 is a hundred years old, it is a proven design that has only been improved on. It's also the most popular handgun here in America. Even over the Glock.
I have only handled a 9mm pistol before, but it is rather bulky in my small hands. What I know is that despite having a lower muzzle velocity, the .45 has a much efficient and higher stopping power, and almost similar recoil.

And now for some interesting news over at sankaku (NSFW) that regular news agencies don't report :

Greenpeace Attacker Harpooned by Fishermen

Quote:
A Greenpeace member was “harpooned” by fishermen after the group began to attack their nets.

Several small Greenpeace vessels approached a French fishing vessel in Mediterranean waters, and began attacking its nets in an effort to release its catch of tuna.

In response to this assault, the fishermen reportedly rammed one vessel and slashed at others, sinking their inflatable craft, and fired flares at a Greenpeace helicopter dispatched to observe the attack.

Another fisherman swung what is variously described as a “grappling hook,” “boat hook” (fishermen’s version) or “harpoon” (Greenpeace’s version) at one of the assailants, skewering his leg.

Greenpeace filmed the incident:

The Greenpeace member, a UK citizen, was taken to Malta for treatment – although he suffered a severe wound, his condition is not said to be life-threatening.

Maltese fishing industry groups are livid over the attacks, saying Greenpeace “sought confrontation, and got the confrontation they wanted,” and that Greenpeace “alone bear the blame for the consequences of yesterday’s incidents.”

The French national fisheries body concurred, saying the fishermen “were attacked by helmeted Greenpeace activists, equipped for and engaged in a violent operation – the destruction of a work tool” and that Greenpeace “assumes the right to attack fishermen out at sea.”

The fishermen have requested French naval protection, saying they fear future attacks by eco-terrorists intent on gaining publicity and donations at the expense of their livelihoods, and pointing out that in addition to quotas they have only two weeks in which to land their catch, making their time very precious.

Sea Shepherd have also previously vowed to attack their vessels, so their concerns do not appear unreasonable.

Greenpeace describe their attacks on fishermen as “peaceful direct action”:

Quote:
“What has happened here this afternoon in the water around us is that the commercial interest has won out over the need to preserve the species and that is why Greenpeace took peaceful direct action today.”
Tuna stocks are widely considered to be under pressure, but efforts to ban the trade have unsurprisingly been unsuccessful – tuna are one of the most economically important catches in the world, worth many billions of dollars annually.

The French vessel’s fishing was thus entirely lawful, and reportedly monitored by an observer in order to ensure they did not exceed their quota.

Possibly environmentalist groups had grown accustomed to the kind of supine response Japanese fishermen exhibited to much more pernicious attacks, not reckoning with the ardour of men set on protecting their livelihood in what remains one of the world’s most perilous occupations.
It is a mooring hook to hook hold the boat to reefs and beaches, not a damn harpoon. Despite being boat operators, these Greenpeace people have certainly proven that they not only lack common logic, but simple nautical knowledge too.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.