View Single Post
Old 2011-06-17, 23:08   Link #919
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Aside from that, however, C has the feel of a classic (but short) shounen tale to me now. Which is an unexpected twist for me, as I didn't really expect it to go in that direction after the first few episodes.

The way everything is building up to a climatic battle between Kimimaro and Mikuni is distinctively shounen, as is Kimimaro's gradually growing clarity (but simplicity) of purpose. As shounen goes, the drama in this one is expertly executed, with brisk gripping pacing, and an effective conveyance of grave importance to almost everything that is going on. My biggest compliment for C would likely be here, as it has that blend of combat action with theatrical dramatic strokes that I tend to greatly love. C's particular blending of it has been notably effective in this episode and the one prior to it.
Intriguing analysis. I hope by 'shounen' you actually mean shounen action like Noein, Sengoku Basara and Gurren Lagann, because the shounen demographic encompasses a huge range of genres. I don't think Aria, Lucky Star, and Toradora, all of which are shounen, are what you had in mind when you wrote that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That being said, C's weaknesses are clear to me now.

Its shift in scale from a story dealing strictly with Kimimaro and his immediate circle of friends, allies, and foes to a story with profound global implications is a bit rushed, and jarring. But then, some of that is due to the 11 episode time constraints. Even just a couple more episodes could have helped C a lot here.
I agree. Noitamina's 11-episode limit has hindered this anime's ambitious story. Although you could probably blame Takagi Noboru (the writer) for making it so ambitious in the first place when it was meant to have 11 episodes from the beginning.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote