View Single Post
Old 2011-10-22, 01:35   Link #1010
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I brought up sales to explain why Ryo is promoted more than Sawano. Sawano's Blue Exorcist OST sold like 5k the first week and it is regarded as his piece de resistance. Ryo/Supercell otoh have sold albums in excess of over 100,000 copies.

This is why Ryo is mentioned in interviews and Sawano isn't, this is why Ryo is listed first in PVs and the actual OP. You ask why people keep giving Ryo all the credit and I'm telling you why. Because he's mentioned more often by staff and pushed more by the promotion of the show because his album from Guilty Crown will easily outsell the Sawano OST.

As far as most people are concerned they don't even know Sawano is working on this, even though he's leapt to the top level with firstly Unicorn and than Blue Exorcist, he is still far from a household name like Kanno or Kajiura. Sawano's basically replaced Taku Iwasaki as my favorite anime composer (I'm starting to think that Sawano is one of the aliens from Space Jam and sucked out Iwasaki's talent for making music so now Iwasaki is like Charles Barkley in that film )so it's not like I'm happy to see this misinformation spread, I'm simply explaining to you why it has happened.
Well that's popular music and promotion for you. Theme songs singles typically do outsell anime OST's anyway though cause I'm not sure many people really like listening to BGM on their Ipods like I do, but then again I'm different like that. As for Sawano, while he's climbing the ranks he still has about 3 more great OST's to go before he can be counted among the likes of Senju Akira (my personal favorite anime composer) for me.

Maybe we should work together on this one instead of butting heads for a change. Sawano definitely deserves more love and credit and I'm willing to work to see that it happens.

Quote:
You referenced ANN to prove your claim that Sawano was listed first in the music credits, I said it was lolzy because ANN when they have multiple people under a position they list them alphabetically. That's why it's a horrible example, heck ANN don't even split the credits like the OP does (which lists Ryo first...) it's as simple as that.
Well he is actually listed for in the music credits since he's the only one under music and Ryo is under theme songs. In this case I kind of have to agree that ANN is actually an inaccurate portrayal because it doesn't split them as you say. This point goes to you. Next time I plan on bringing the glib remarks I'll be sure to screencap the show credits.

Quote:
I'm judging the music against each other, not the shows they're actually in. Whether or not Sawano can adjust his talents to adapt to a show or not is beside the point. The music shown so far while better than most of his early work is far from the level of Unicorn/AnE. Can it improve? Obviously, but that's also why I'm comparing it to the first 2 episodes of AnE and the first OVA of Unicorn.. things can change later on... Gundam SEED for instance had pretty terrible music for the early part (and SEED OST 1 is easily the worst in that franchise) but it became amazing by the end of it and that carried over into Destiny.
Hmm...the mixing seemed a bit off in the first episode, not really allowing it to shine all that much or really be all that audible except for the climatic scene at the end, but I'd say what the second episode showcased is a lot closer to what I've come to expect from him. We need more tracks to sample.

As an aside I barely remember the Gundam Seed/Destiny OST other than the T.M Revolution songs so maybe that speaks a bit to it's overall mediocrity among Gundam Soundtracks. It was Toshihiko Sahashi who is pretty much the guy you hire when you just want passable orchestral music and just can't get anyone else. He's someone who kind of ranks as something of a perennial honorable mention among my favorite anime composer lists. Frankly a lot of the guys tracks can be kind of generic if not outright plagiarized from other sources, but every now and then he has a really good volume like with The Big O which I still count as his best ever. Light years ahead of his other stuff in fact.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote