View Single Post
Old 2012-09-23, 02:50   Link #135
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
I think the thing is that SOA was probably built on some standard coding language. If you know that language you'd be miles ahead of normal people.
Not really. The console commands have little to do with whatever language the game was programmed in. (To take a recent example: the commands in Skryim's console aren't C++). Which makes sense: the console is there to edit an existing game, not program the server.

Quote:
There's also that as has sort of been pointed out, it's doubtful a GM console is going to just be a command prompt window.
And yet he was using a keyboard to type commands...

Quote:
It's almost certainly set up in a way that's easy to use.
Easy to use for the GMs - who could be expected to know a handful of commands, and not work with Kirito's deadline - and flexible. At best, that means that Kirito could be expected to figure it out with a little time to look at man pages, but he didn't have that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itoastmysocks View Post
Also I would imagine that being part of such an exclusive Betatest as it probably was for SAO, they should have weeded out those that are not tech-savvy or don't understand their basic code, simply for finding errors, bugs, and what not ([randommmorant]but again they made the same mistake as every MMO developer does these days, THEY FORGET TO TEST THE ENDGAME[/randommmorant])
It's not the testers' job (especially the ones drawn from end users) to know the code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, I guess that was just how I interpreted the dialogue:

Asuna: If the game is cleared and this world ends, what will happen to [Yui]?
Kirito: Yui's data is set to save to my NerveGear's local memory.

So my assumption was that, in the game, she's stored within the item. When the game is over, obviously the item will be gone, so at that point she needs to be stored within his local memory.

You're right that the in-game item might be a pointless bauble designed to appease Asuna, but he did actually explain to her that he "split off her main program and turned it into a game object" and that object was "Yui's Heart". I think it makes more sense to assume that he meant it. I don't think he had the time to create an extra item just to make Asuna feel good; saving Yui was all there was time for. Perhaps we can say that the item itself is bound to Kirito's local memory, and is just manifesting itself through that in-game item right now.
Speculation: non standard objects have some freespace where the code for their special abilities and quest-related behavior resides. Kirito wrote Yui's data there. It won't actually give the bauble any special ability, but it'll be preserved. And he copied that object to his nervgear's cache (and set it to not be deleted under any circumstance).
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote