View Single Post
Old 2008-05-28, 22:55   Link #118
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
"characters" and "script" tags in the Kure-nai thread:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=48194
I'll own up to those, and I think both terms are appropriate to the show and good examples of what tags can be.

What features of Kure-nai do you think we should use to identify it in a tagging system? I think it's a show about characters with a surprisingly well-written script even in translation. I think other shows like Welcome to the NHK! are also about characters and have above average scripts. From reading the forum for Kure-nai, I'm not the only person who thinks that characterization and scripting are a great deal of what this show is about.

As I suggested in the imported thread, I agree with xris about the importance of developing a common tagging vocabulary. The tagging boxes do offer completions based, I'd assume, on the popularity of tags using the same initial letters. What I don't see yet is how to build a consensus around specific terms.

If anybody can contribute two tags, shouldn't it be possible that some threads will end up with 6, 8, 12 or more tags? What's wrong with some of those tags being terms like "characters" and "script" as well as "light novel," NeoSam?

I'd like to see shows that focus on characters carry a consistent tag for that feature across all forums. I don't know if the word "characters" is the best choice; I was forced to decide on the spot which of a variety of options to use. I don't think "characterization" is a good alternative; it's too long and academic. The singular "character" didn't seem right either. In the end I opted for "characters."

If people continue to discourage the use of tags like these, then I will cease and desist and delete as many such tags as I can recall entering. However, I don't see any other way to encourage the development of a common vocabulary. I'm tossing out terms like "inspirational," "maturation" and "script" because I'm trying to influence the direction of the tagging endeavor. (It's not as megalomaniacal as it sounds.) Hopefully people will see what words others are using to tag threads and adopt the most meaningful ones. Isn't that how this is supposed to work? Survival of the fittest and all that? I just prefer to hang out in the mutated parts of the gene pool because that's where all the evolutionary action is. Some people choose "shounen;" I choose "inspirational." Both those apply to Hikaru no Go, among other shows. If you say "people will be looking for 'shounen' and not 'inspirational'," that depends both on who's looking and on how the distribution of tags is presented to the searcher. Since making it into the top seventy means you appear on the tags.php page, I figured I'd better get "maturation" and "script" out there before the range of choices got too narrow.

I don't think it's feasible to try and draw up a list of recommended tags, either. I thought about whether to first address the question of "appropriate" tags here, but I decided that the only test of a tag's effectiveness is whether others use it. It seems to me the "let a thousand flowers bloom" approach makes the most sense, at least in the near term as we see how tagging shakes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare
Regarding tagging threads in the Suggestion Forum, I must say that it's quite redundant. What the use of tagging "mature" and "romance" in a thread that is entitled, "Looking for mature/romance anime"?
Perhaps because someone searching across all the forums for the tag "mature" might want to see a thread entitled "Looking for mature/romance anime" appear in the list of results? Isn't that what tags are for? If not, then I'm at a loss to understand what they are for.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote