View Single Post
Old 2011-10-28, 16:37   Link #49
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

My main problem with some of your suggestions is that I want to keep the interface as clean and uncluttered as possible. This basically means dumbing it down a bit and not showing too many options that a lot of people might never use.

That said, some of the suggestions you make could be implemented through some kind of "Settings" page (cookie based, so no account registration necessary).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Can you make a minor change so Middle Button Mouse Click doesn't select entries? I'm having an issue with it selecting a bunch of random stuff when I'm just trying to scroll the page with Auto-Scroll.
What mouse action is associated with the middle mouse button (see control panel)?

If it is because you are using the touchpad of a laptop with scrolling & tapping enabled I'd recommend getting a real mouse, or disabling tapping (which I personally absolutely hate -- I still use touchpads strictly the classic way).

Quote:
Possibly also add a button at top and bottom for 'Select All' & 'Deselect All' (as an alternative to mouse click dexterity), and 'Invert Selection' (alternative way of selecting things), and add the 'Get NZB' button to the top as well (so you can do selections starting at the bottom of the page to the top).
Select all / Deselect all is done easiest by double-clicking on the list of files.
I'm not sure how useful invert selection is.
"Get NZB" on top could be an option for a "Settings" page.

Quote:
Also add an advanced search?

Search in specific newsgroups only.
Fanzub represents newsgroups as categories and you can already search those. I don't see much point in allowing searching of specific newsgroups while the rest of the site interface tries to hide them.

Quote:
Search by poster.
There is already a hidden feature to do this, though it is not very practical to use because you need to know the "author ID" of a poster and that isn't publicly displayed anywhere.

But for example this page lists all posts made by comfun:
http://www.fanzub.com/?q=&author=2625

Anyway, what would be a practical reason why you would want to do this?

Quote:
Search by minimum size.
Search by maximum size.
I don't really see the point. Again, why would you want to do this?

Quote:
Search by age.
This could be a "Settings" page option.

Quote:
Search only posts with an NFO (and allow NFO download/view from index?)
This I'm afraid is not easy to do. Well searching for posts with NFO is quite possible, but download/viewing would require quite a bit more code. It is however one thing I certainly would be willing to implement in the future, though considering the work required I can't promise any ETA.

Quote:
Is an Advanced Search functionality like this easily possible with your Fanzub 2.0 search implementation?
The search implementation didn't change that much, and some of what you ask is possible, except in some cases I wonder if such options would be used very often.

Anyway, the way I envision the site should be ideally used as is that you start by crafting a search query as specific as possible for what you want. So for example you don't search for "index" and then mark all the files by "Hatsuyuki" in "1280x720" that you want, but you search for "hatsu index 720" instead. Then you double-click to select all files and then individually deselect the files you don't want (for example the v1 for files with a v2 available).