Old 2004-04-02, 19:53   Link #27
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emessen
how does the past DEVELOP anything???

it just explains why the characters act the way they do NOW
my problem isnt with the backstory... just that it was too freaking long
think about it this way... if tenjo tenge is a 26 episode anime... the flashback
would take up 3 or 4 episodes... THREE TO FOUR... that's TOO much out of
the series... like WOLF's RAIN recap episodes that were shown back to back

a backstory is all well and good... but it doesnt need to drag on for so long...

it DEVELOPS nothing... just explains things... and that does not need to take SO LONG
theres a HUGE difference in explaining motives, and developing a story... the story goes on
regardless of what happened int he past... the past just explains motivation... but
it doesnt change what characters are like NOW, because it cant... since it made them who
they are, does that make sense?

my response to that is as follows...

the manga/anime has no MAIN focus... if you spend too much time trying to flesh out
all characters, you ultimately spread your resources too thin and cut back on the
ADVANCEMENT of the PLOT... not to say tenjo tenge has no plot... but it's not much of one

what's that supposed to mean? so what are you trying to say? that manga's are only
supposed to have one story?

a manga is supposed to have more than one story... apparently tenjo tenge does
doesnt it? if it's got a back story and a current story... name me one manga that has one
continuous fluid story that has only one villian, only one problem, and only one story arc

agn i'd just like to say...

my problem does NOT lie with the backstory itself... just it's absurdly long length

OK... I still don't understand what your problem with the backstory is (and I'm sure no one else does). It's like a prelude to the story, only placed in the middle of the story once you get to know the characters a bit. This type is story happens frequently in storytelling. 3~4 episodes is by no means a lot, not at all (if you really think so then you gotta watch more anime). It's NOTHING like Wolf's Rain because it doesn't recap, it expands the story.

As for the stories bit. Manga SHOULD be one coherent story with multiple story arcs (some aren't and are made of a lot of shorts stories but this one certainly isn't). So the backstory is pretty much one story ARC, not a whole story. And the time they spent on this arc is extremely reasonable compared to the other story arcs. So what's wrong with that?

As for the lack of focus, I don't see why that is either. The story has been revolving around the theme of those with the special powers. Both the backstory and the main story revolve around this theme. The backstory deals with the past and how the previous user of the Dragon Eye lost it all, so that we will know a bit of what the current user (Aya) might go though. There's nothing wrong with that. Of course, the story does move fairly slowly, but its interesting and apparently so far you're the only one who doesn't agree.