View Single Post
Old 2013-01-26, 17:09   Link #5713
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Of course the rules meant something, but that doesn't mean it means the same thing for everyone.
But it doesn't show that those ideals are not integral to Orb which was the original point.

Quote:
My point is that those ideals do not stand up well to the current global situation that Orb is facing.
That's basically fanwanking at this point though. It wasn't even something that came up and I doubt it's something the writers even considered.

My original point to this is that there is some leeway in their rules as long as the core ideal of neutrality is maintained. In that hypothetical situation then yes I concede there is a small degree of leeway there as well but how that proves there is no leeway at all, I'm not certain on.

Quote:
The point is that it's not by an unknown party, but by Coordinators which the EA has claimed is on the order of ZAFT. After a war where a weapon like GENESIS was used and now the Junius 7 incident, do you think it'll be hard to make the people suspicious of ZAFT? (Of course, we the audience knew better.)
Suspicions are hardly on the level of a direct invasion.

But again, I think this whole point is moot to begin with.

Quote:
Except that decreased Orb's chance of defending itself. So no, their ideal has already been broken.
Unless they continue to fight afterwards.

Quote:
SEED made a point of the three claims. If it was just a simple concept of neutrality, then fine. The fact that they bothered to emphasize those three claims meant that those three claims actually meant something as stated. And it also means something when they're violated.
No, that doesn't have to mean they have to be taken absolutely literally without any sense. The show also made clear that the core dieal was to maintain neutrality at any cost.

Quote:
No, it portrayed him as someone who recognized the balance between pure idealism and practicality. That's why he went through with Astray production even though it's a product of helping the EA building weapons to fight against ZAFT.
I thought he decided to resign?

And way, I think it's clear from the episode that he was maintaining his ideals

Episode 40
"We won't let Orb fall into their hands!" - Cagalli's father seconds before he blows himself up

Quote:
That's why, when it comes to Destiny, this conflict between ideals and practicality appears again and the current government chose joining the EA rather than risk having to fight of an invasion on its own again.

That's why it makes sense for them to abandon these ideals when it doesn't reflect the current global situation. (That doesn't mean I agree with it.)
The story doesn't even remotely portray Orb's abandonment of it's ideals in Seed Destiny as an okay thing. All those who argue the position are protrayed as as corrupt misogynist cowards with no sense.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote