View Single Post
Old 2010-08-04, 22:09   Link #137
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Maybe I'm more old fashioned, but I prefer subs, heh. Skip the dubbing, just sub it and release. Spare the expense so the DVD is cheaper. But like that would ever happen, haha.

I have been having a dub vs. sub argument with a friend of mine, as he prefers dubs and me subs. I dunno, I'm just more used to the inflections and emotions in a Japanese voice now, that most dubs come across as "wooden" to me. Not as much emotion.

And you get things that just don't make sense in dubs, like near the end of Otome, when they refer to "Mai Hime." Obviously, in Japanese this works with both the language (referring to Mai as a princess) and also as an allusion to the first series. But saying "Mai Hime" in English doesn't make sense, because Himes aren't really referred to at all, and it totally lacks the "princess" angle.

Yeah you are right eventually because everyone bitched alot when they chose Shizuru accent instead figuring out on learning Kyoto accent they just give an Southern Belle or Texan voice and anime fans went crazy over that issue. I would not trust Bluewater (Ocean Group) to do it nor Bandai Entertainment to take that kind of licensing for the Mai-franchise. If they do Sifr, possibly? Then I would buy but not hear the dubs. Even the dialogue and writing was so bad that I can't even comprehend and confusing at the least. But I found good VA's but and possibly Golden Gems that could be so awesome.

They are alot of dubs that are superior like Outlaw Star,Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist and alot more, so don't count out on dubs yet. But I don't want Bluewater doing the Otome prequel nor the upcoming saga, but for the Golden Gems, I chose from my earlier post to come and get into a better dubbing studio than Ocean Group period.
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote