View Single Post
Old 2004-02-12, 23:54   Link #43
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
I think society is a big boy and can take care of itself.

Laws are to protect society from its discontents.
I don't think so. We are all human beings, each a product of many various factors in genetic makeup and environmental factors. Our assertions for uniqueness and conformity are strong. In short, human beings are one heck of a confusing creature to study (not to forget that they are generally confused about themselves as well).

Without structures imposed to preserve a hierarchy and organisation, all civilization breaks down as each individual attempts to assert their individual preferences. The chain effect of this will shatter whatever mould the current civilizaion has. A small group of individuals will get sick of the situation and band together, creating laws yet again. If their influence is strong that they sway more to obey their laws, they will win and create a new society. If they fail... chaos continue.

Laws are the basis of civilization (society). Without them, civilization as we know it cannot exist.

Here's another thought. Laws are only laws when people choose to obey them whether willingly or out of fear from punishment. When nobody bothers about them continuously and they are not enforced, they are not really laws anymore. (Since we are all humans, stupid laws do come up as well...)

In a way, I see the restrictions against incest were laid down mainly to:

1. reduce genetic mutations (increase group strength)
2. encourage social bindings (marry another clan, build stronger inter-social ties)
2a. encourage social interactions (a guy sitting at home 'admiring' his female relations is not going to go out much is it?)
3. reinforce family as the basic unit of society
Yebyosh is offline   Reply With Quote