View Single Post
Old 2007-12-20, 09:49   Link #16
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
When I said Final Fantasy, I meant the game, not the series. Final Fantasy's battle system is quite is messy and clunky. What's up with there being two windows? Why do a character hit air if another character kills an enemy that he/she was targetting? Why is battle so slow by default (you can adjust the speed of the dialogue boxes, I've heard)?

Phantasy Star doesn't have these problems, though the trade-off is that you can't select individual enemies. The backgrounds are great, though. Much better than Final Fantasy's minimalist ones.
Well, during Ye Olde 8 and 16-bit console wars, Sega had always the upper hand in terms of raw console power... despite that, Nintendo has won both of the wars in its time Besides, isn't that what people usually complain about the newer FFs? That they're all flash and no substance?

Anyways, I already explained that FF and Square have as many detractors as they have fans, so point taken, PS rocks or whatever, now let me celebrate the anniversary in peace (plus a game-related religious flamewar makes less sense that an emacs vs vi one)

Quote:
What amazes me about FF is how its games can reach out to the casual gamers. Rather than just the hardcore RPG fans.
I wouldn't know about that... I'd be willing to say that Japanese RPGs in general cater more to the "casual gamer" rather than to the hardcore RPG fan. In my mind, hardcore RPG fan equates to "Western RPG fan". No Japanese RPG is a true roleplaying game in any sense of the word, since they focus more in a predeterminate story and in narrative flow. You're not the character: you're merely watching the character. Western RPGs, on the contrary, try to make you feel you're the character, much more akin to classic tabletop RPGs like D&D (and, incidentally, those are the games the term "RPG" comes from).

Me, I can't stand Western RPGs, even being a tabletop RPG fan myself. My point is that it's impossible to convey the implications a tabletop game presupposes with a video game, so I'd better have something else rather than a highly unpolished, failed attempt at mimicking something I can find by gathering all my friends and my set of dice.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote