View Single Post
Old 2008-01-10, 21:42   Link #59
alpha3six
913-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Don't get me wrong i like both handheld, but what is bugging me is that too many game, on both, but especially on the psp, don't belong on a handheld, simply because they are just too long. RPG, Fighting games, adventure games are for home consoles, jump'n'run, shooting games, simple puzzle games, those are the stuff for entertainment on the run.
Actually I think the PSP is a great platform for TRPGs and the like, especially turn based ones. The suspend feature makes it simple to play a turn here and there when you have time. I've kept certain games suspended over the course of a week.

Use FF Tactics as an example. If I want to play it on PS, I'd have to devote an hour or 2 just to the game. On PSP, I can play whenever I want and suspend anywhere I want. This is a tremendously useful feature which makes me favor PSP over PS2 for certain games including Disgaea. I was never able to finish Disgaea on PS2 precisely because I didn't have enough time.

I also find action games to be extremely unsatisfying if played in short 5 minute doses. Suspending a game in progress can be jarring because it breaks your rhythm. With strategy games this can be true to a certain extent, but at least you have the time to reexamine the situation.

In the end it's about choice. Casual or in depth, you can have both.
alpha3six is offline   Reply With Quote