View Single Post
Old 2004-11-23, 22:52   Link #8
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
So that's how the lottery system works in America...interesting.
So if I take it correctly, you can either choose:

A. One cash option which is roughly half the actual winnings
or
B. The whole cash winnings over the course of twenty-six years.

One question...is this before or after the government screws you with taxes? If so, I'd actually take the "A" option and invest it wisely because I don't want the government usurping my winnings every year I receive the winnings. Besides, if you invest it wisely (i.e.: mutual funds, government bonds, CDs, money-market accounts, IRAs), you might actually end up with larger money than taking the "B" option...

But then again, I hear that most Americans suck at keeping a stable savings account.
indeed, and it is expecially easy to figure out which ones understand next to nothing about turning a profit when they have ridiculous credit card debt.

Too many Americans have all these ideals of the American life that push them to do stupid things. Own a car, buy a house, get new furniture, raise a family, get a dog... expensive bullshit for an overhyped dream that everyone thinks they can obtain no matter how little they make. All these Americans are so gung ho about spending money that they forget to make money or they just don't plan ahead in case they lose their job or get injured.
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote